Monday, June 29, 2015

Gluten free travel - Austin Airport

So it’s no secret I travel a lot – both for work and personal although with work increases the desire for personal travel decreases….

So I thought I’d start collecting my thoughts on gluten free food at airports. It’s tough in airports when you only get so much time, and you only pass so many options it’s nice to know where options are exactly in case it’s worth a side trip!

So let’s start with my home airport – Austin! I will say that for such a gluten friendly town the airport options are just downright slim!

1.       Salt Lick – for anyone out of town this is a great stop if you haven’t made the trek out to driftwood (which I highly recommend. They do throw bread on about every plate so I ask for a glove change and just hope they haven’t put bread down in the exact spot my food is cut. Their sauce, sides and all meat though are gluten free.  A good limited cross contamination order is the baked potato with chopped beef….yum!

2.       Amy’s ice cream – now again the counter can contain some cross contamination because they throw the ice cream down, around, and up but as long as you pick a gluten free topping and avoid any of the specials that have gluten in them you are fine. My go to is Belgian chocolate with Reese’s peanut butter cup or with the turtle topping!

3.       Schlotzsky's -- now as of right now they don’t have the gluten free buns that they have in the store but they do have some good salad options.

4.       Maudie’s – the restaurants have great gluten free knowledge but the airport is minimal. Their chicken tacos are gluten free with corn of course, as are the nachos which are some good options.

5.       Admirals Club – on international flights when I’m lucky enough to get access they have a great spinach salad, meal bars, chips, and nut mixes for sale.



Anyone else find any other good options at AUS?

No comments:

Post a Comment